Saturday 22 October 2016

Widgets

To Jump or Not to Jump, That Is The Question !

This blog is specially for those who feel dilemma and lack courage to start afresh.  I will tell you my own story to begin with.

It was the time of summer holidays of my 6th grade school. 2 months vacation. My father had a wonderful policy - he would never let me and my sister to just watch television or go to relatives' homes to waste our time in holidays. He would always tell me, "There is very less time in our life. So learn as much as you can. I would never ask you about money you'd spend in learning new art, always focus on your self-development, whether it is singing, playing instruments, computer classes, or any sport. But just don’t sit idle." So I thought of learning something new.

Swimming. What could have been the better choice? A refreshing blue pool with all happy faces splashing water on each other. (or so did I assume watching movies)

I joined the swimming pool the very next day where our coach was a tall cocky Punjabi man. It was my first day to the swimming pool. He taught us to breath underwater for 15 minutes and when we were comfortable in doing that, he asked us to come out and directed us to go to the other side of the pool. This swimming pool was sloppy from 4 feet depth for new learners and small children to gradually increasing to 18 feet depth (surely where you cannot touch your feet on the ground) (see figure)



So when he asked us to go to other side, we were wondering what he is going to teach there. To our surprise, he asked us to climb the ladder for jumping platform (which was nearly 15 feet high). Wind was blowing that day more that natural or so we did feel. We were there in our swimming costume shivering on that jumping platform wondering whether he is going to ask us to jump. We already heard many stories about him, about his strictness and discipline. 

No wonder he arranged us in a line and asked us to jump on his whistle blow. He only told us one sentence, "Keep your body streamlined while touching the water otherwise you will get hurt by impulse of water", while imitating his body in that manner to make us understand. 

Everybody was looking at each other and nobody was moving forward. It was a situation of dilemma- Jump or not to jump. He asked us twice and when nobody moved, he climbed that platform and asked us again. He got infuriated when nobody moved and said if you will jump on my direction or I will throw you in the water. And to set a precedent, he actually pushed the first guy from platform holding his shoulder. He fell flat on his chest. Red blue patch on his chest is the only thing we saw while hearing him cry. Everybody had now body full of goose bumps plus these bloody wind adding unnecessary drama to already over-dramatic situation. At this moment we actually understood that he is a no-nonsense person.



Now situation reduced to only two choices. Jump or get pushed by a very strong hand. I was the second one. I looked at the water from the platform, it seemed too deep. (see image) As he approached me sensing I wouldn't jump, I told him in rebellious voice not to touch me, I will jump on my own. As soon as he blew whistle, I jumped trying to keep my body streamlined. I drank some water while breathing and some entered in my nose giving nasty disoriented pain in head. Down below in water his son (who was happened to be a national level swimming champion)  pulled me to the corner of the pool. (Obliviously nobody knew how to swim) I realized it wasn't that bad which I assumed it is going to be.

This thing became routine. He will teach us for half an hour in shallow side and then it was time for jump from platform in deep side. Few people including myself lost our fear of height and water in 3-4 days, but some left his coaching never to learn again.

From this incidence I learned few things.
  1. Problem is not as grave as your perception makes it. Change perception, and you will gather courage at least to tackle it.
  2. Create a do or die situation. If there is plan-B, you will not give your 100% to plan-A. It's okay to have another plan, but use it only after every possible existing resources starves.
  3. Everybody needs a stimulus. Have a mentor, who may at time look harsh, will guide you in your path. Or even better -instead of looking at outer motivation, make your own mind as your mentor that it will act as a catalyst.
  4. Not everybody who looks like a villain is actually a villain.
  5. Only courageous survives. Even god does not help those who cannot help themselves. (Read my earlier post -Being weak is not an option)

These are only few things I mentioned. You can take number of inferences as you understand the text.

Hope you enjoyed the story and thought behind it.


Peace. 

0 comments :

Post a Comment